112 of age,of an age,of the age
这三个片语的意义各不相同。
Of age是“成年”,其对语是under age“未成年”。
例:
You are of age now.
你现在是成年人了。
In some countries boys come of age at sixteen.
在某些国家,男孩是十六岁成年。
Of an age是“同年”或“到了…年龄”。例:
John and I are of an age.
约翰和我是同年。
Mary,you are of and age to understand such things!
玛丽,你现在这么大,应该懂得这种事了!
Of the age是“当代的”、“近代的”。例:
He is one of the greatest poets of the age.
他是当代最伟大的诗人之一。
You must know the spirit of the age.
你必须知道这个时代的精神是什么。
顺便在此提一句,(for)ages和(for)an age的意义完全相同,都是表示“很久”之意。例:
They kept me waiting for ages(or for an age).
他们叫我等了很长很长的时间。
It took ages/an age for them to arrive.
他们需要很长很长的时间才到达。